[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Issue 1: Font-weight and headings

E. Stephen Mack <estephen@emf.net> [list.w3-style]:
> <H1>The headline <STRONG>is</STRONG> important!</H1>
> H1 { font-weight: normal; }

> Now, I can almost understand why Navigator does not let
> the font-weight property inherit down into the embedded
> STRONG element, since the default property of the STRONG
> element is font-weight: bold.
>
> I've read through the section in the CSS spec on
> inheritance [7], and I see how rule 3 clearly says that
> User Agent default values are given less priority than author
> or reader style sheet values.

There is however no "author" value for <strong>. With your argument,
<STRONG> would have no effect at all, if a user sets

  P { font-weight: normal }

as this is inherited every time. I think the only useful implementation
is to assume default values (i.e. bolder) for <STRONG> in this case, as
there's no user/reader value given for <STRONG>.

--
Claus "3247" Andre Faerber <cl@faerber.muc.de> <http://www.muc.de/~cfaerber/>
PGP: ID=1024/527CADCD FP=12 20 49 F3 E1 04 9E 9E  25 56 69 A5 C6 A0 C9 DC