Re: Issue 1: Font-weight and headings

At 2:15 PM -0700 7/27/97, David Perrell wrote:
>E. Stephen Mack wrote:

>> At this point, I think it becomes ESSENTIAL for the UA to
>> release their default style sheet.  That will make working
>> with style sheets much simpler.
>
>In any case it looks like prudent authors will have to declare style
>for all elements they use.

Right. So what do y'all say we harness some of the smarts and energy here
to produce an exhaustively-specified "default" stylesheet for all HTML 4
elements? Not a "designery" one, but one representing typical
out-of-the-box rendering of all HTML elements in the dominant browsers.
We'll know we're done when we can't tell whether it's being appled or not
(assuming correct CSS implementations, of course, and no changes to user
settings). Appendix A of the CSS1 Recommendation has such a sheet for HTML
2.0, but it has suffered from fatal early CSS implementations, an outmoded
DTD as a target, and a wee bit too much creativity in colors to be
authoritative as a base.

Prudent CSS authors, hoping to avoid damaging interactions with user style
sheets, can link to this sheet (@import) as a base. It will be easier and
better to edit this sheet than to create new ones from scratch,
complicating them incrementally as HTML content grows.

If not us, who?

Todd Fahrner
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com
http://www.verso.com/

The printed page transcends space and time. The printed page, the
infinitude of books, must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.

--El Lissitzky, 1923