Percentage Values without parent elements?

Neil St.Laurent writes:

 > If an element has no parent (such as <BODY>) and it uses a relative
 > size to specify something, what is the correct action?

Actually, BODY has a parent: in HTML there is always a toplevel
element of type HTML.

But the question remains: how should one interpret upwards-pointing
values on toplevel elements. I don't think the spec gives you an
explicit answer, but it describes (in section 3.2) what values the
toplevel element is given initially (the 'initial' value). Thus, I'd
say that relative values should be computed w.r.t. the initial value.

Regards,

-h&kon

H   å   k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org   W o r l d   Wide  W e b  Consortium
inria §°þ#¡ª FRANCE http://www.w3.org/people/howcome