IE4 PR2 and CSS1

Below are the results my own tests concerning the compliance of the new
IE4.0 (pre-release 2).

I used Steven Mulder's results for "Style sheet support by the
browsers" (http://www.mcp.com/hayden/internet/style/table.html) as the
basis for my work.

If a property was checked by Steve as "completely supported", I didn't
check it again. Thus, I assume that the new release did not break
previously supported properties.

Of course, not being myself a strong CSS wizard, I may have made wrong
assumptions below. Thus, this list is opened for corrections and
clarifications (especially from Microsoft people). THIS IS NOT A
FINISHED WORK!

If you are not patient, see at the bottom of this message for a list of
what I consider still unsupported...

Properties marked with "No browser support" or "Partial browser
support"(IE4-PR1 Windows) in Steve's list :
-----

Style sheet syntax
------------------
	Imported styles : now supported

Style sheet syntax: pseudo-classes, etc.
	first-letter : STILL UNSUPPORTED
	first-line   : STILL UNSUPPORTED
	! important  : STILL UNSUPPORTED

Style sheet properties: fonts
-----------------------------
	font-size
	  <length>   : now supported
	font-weight
	  100-900    : to be checked. I don't know how to check!
	font-variant
	  normal     : now supported
	text-decoration
	  blink      : recognised but text does not blink (unrequired by CSS1)

Style sheet properties: typography
----------------------------------
	word-spacing : STILL UNSUPPORTED
	text-align   : now fully supported (even justify)
	vertical-align
	  baseline   : now supported
	  top        : now supported
	  text-top   : I'm not really sure...
	  middle     : now supported
	  bottom     : now supported
	  text-bottom: now supported
	  <percentage>: STILL UNSUPPORTED

Style sheet properties: colors and backgrounds
	background-repeat : now supported
	background-attachment : I don't know how to check!

SPECIAL: for background-position, it looks like my understanding of CSS
is the the same as Microsoft's. When I try to set
style="background-position: 100% 100%" on a paragraph made of several
lines with a small image as background, I only get one copy of my image
in the lower right corner of the paragraph block. If I properly read
CSS specification, I should get a repeated background image "beginning"
at the lower right corner.

Style sheet properties: Layout
------------------------------
	margin-{top|bottom|right|left} : now supported ("auto" should be
checked more carefully)
	padding* : now supported
	border* : now supported ("border-style: dotted" and "border-style:
dashed" interpreted as "solid" (conform to core functionality)
	width : NOT FULLY SUPPORTED (style="width:auto" for an image makes
the image....disappear!)
	heigth : NOT FULLY SUPPORTED (same as width)
	float: now supported (to be carefully checked)
	clear: now supported (to be carefully checked)

Style sheet properties: classification
--------------------------------------
	display: now supported
	white-space: STILL UNSUPPORTED
	list-style* : everything is now supported

Style sheet units
-----------------
	All units now seem to be supported but typography gurus should check
this carefully

RÉSUMÉ :

UNSUPORTED CSS PROPERTIES
--------------------------

first-letter
first-line
! important
word-spacing
vertical-align with <percentage>
width: auto
height: auto
white-space

"I'M NOT REALLY SURE" STUFF

font-weight: 100-900
vertical-align: text-top
background-attachment
background-position

--
Christian Perrier
Office National d'Etudes et Recherches Aerospatiales