Re: Pixels 'n points (CSS1 browser test)

On Jun 27, 11:18am, Chris Wilson (PSD) wrote:

> > Douglas Rand [SMTP:drand@sgi.com] wrote:

> >It really isn't that difficult,  I do it in our browser.  The code
> which
> >builds the rendering structure checks for displayFLOAT for inline or
> >block elements (my internal value for the property) and sticks the
> >content in a floater container.  It's relatively simple and few lines
> of
> >code,  et voila,  I can put a paragraph off to the left (and I did for
> >my public demo at SGI's developer's forum).  Every capable browser
> >already does such things for IMG and TABLE replaced elements.
>
> True; but we can't alter the document structure like that,

It isn't altering the document structure. It isn't even  dynamically
modifying the stylesheet. If I understand Douglas correctly, he is simply
rendering this:

P.foo { float: left}

<P class=foo>some text</p>

> because we
> need to be able to persist.  (The HTML rendering engine in IE4 is also
> an authoring system - e.g. it's used by Outlook Express, the email
> client in IE4.)

I don't see how that would conflict with being able to statically declare
floated elements in a style sheet.

> >I think some properties actually *are* problematic,  for example
> >vertical-align applied to textual objects in paragraph flows really
> make
> >only modest sense.  The definition of vertical-align also doesn't
> >correspond to common practice,  started with Mosaic,  of carrying the
> >top and bottom text  limits for the line as the line is formatted from
> >left to right.  Thus vertical-align can lead to circular dependencies,
> >which is not good, IMO.
>
> I agree whole-heartedly with you on this one.

So, you would fix this how?