Re: CSS enhancement proposal

Todd Fahrner wrote:
> That was a reference to the disaster of specifying point units on
> type without some sort of platform-transformation like this:
>
> <SCRIPT>
> <!--
> 	if (navigator.appVersion.lastIndexOf('Mac') == -1)
> 	{
> 	document.writeln("<STYLE> BODY { font-size: 0.75em }</STYLE>")
> 	};
> //-->
> </SCRIPT>

Well, that's a very Mac-centric assumption--that all non-Mac systems
will be equally un-Mac. Even if that were true, how will that script
change the way points are displayed on the client?

> An explanation (repurposed from email to David Perrell, with
> apologies for the light-hearted Windows-ribbing):
>
> Scenario 1: ....
>
> Scenario 2: ...

I was going to regurgitate my reactionary reply with some additional
digestion, but I'll refrain. Suffice it to say there are other
scenarios, and there are typography-aware Windows-using designers who
were producing print long before the idea for the Mac was born during
Steve Job's 1979 visit to Xerox PARC.

I'll repeat my belief that a opsys-fixed display-pixels-per-inch
setting is absurd. The future is subpixel rendering in full color. The
resolution of the display is insignificant except in terms of
sharpness. Each user of a machine should decide how large she/he wants
an inch to be on the display, and that mapping should be part of the
personal profile of that user, effected smoothly when the user logs on.

David Perrell