Re: ANNC: Cascading Style Sheets Editor

Terje Norderhaug writes:
 > At 1:42 AM 5/6/97, Bert Bos wrote:
 > >Chris Lilley wrote:
 > >>
 > >> On May 5,  5:41pm, Terje Norderhaug wrote:
 > >>
 > >> !> The Interaction Cascading Style Sheets Editor was officially released
 > >> !> today. It is a dialog based CSS editor for the Macintosh.
 > >>
 > >> It seems rather nice. Here is a stylesheet that I produced with the CSS
 > >> editor in a couple of minutes :
 > >
 > >One small error:
 > >

 > >> BODY {
 > >>    MARGIN-LEFT: 10%;
 > >>    FONT-FAMILY: "Beautiful 2", "sans serif";
 > >
 > >If this was meant to refer to the generic family sans-serif, it
 > >should be spelled as
 > >
 > >    sans-serif
 > >
 > >i.e., without quotes and with a dash. But then again, Chris is
 > >quite likely to select a real font called "sans serif" just to confuse
 > >everybody :-)
 >
 > No, the mistake was mine. I'll make sure it gets into the next version of
 > the Interaction CSS Editor (I have actually already repaired it).

Excellent! Thanks.

 > I assume the spec doesn't really require that the generic families (or
 > names without a space) NOT to be quoted? Not that it is a problem, the
 > Interaction CSS editor won't quote unless the name has a space. However, I
 > wouldn't be surprised if some other developers figured they could save
 > themselves a few lines by writing all font names quoted.

The spec is indeed not very clear on this. It says that font family
names may be quoted and it explains how they are interpreted if they
are not quoted. But the (unfortunately implicit) intention is also
that `generic family names' are not `font family names' but keywords,
and keywords are never quoted (see 5.1).

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/People/Bos/                      INRIA/W3C
  +33 4 93 65 77 71               06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France