Re: Does the Cascade hurt accessbility?

 From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>

| The danger in CSS is that the myth of author/reader balance will cause
| authors to stop thinking about accessiblity in the design of their
| stylesheets and in the deployment of CLASS sets and DTDs. Those with a
| fuzzy understanding of cascading will argue: "I don't have to do
| anything special, the cascade puts the reader in charge." The truth is
| that authors can make readers' lives hellish. Just as in the bad old
| days of <FONT ...>, authors must take responsibility. Readers should
| only have to take control as a last resort.
---

I do agree that the cascade leaves things muddier than I like.

I'd also like to point to a suggestion I made a long time ago in the CSS
evolution - if would be very useful for *reader*-side stylesheets to be
able to have selection rules based on rendering, rather than on document
structure, so that a user could say "if the final presentation of an
element would be in red, underline it, too".

scott

--
scott preece
motorola/css urbana design center	1101 e. university, urbana, il   61801