Re: colours for bullets - this one is simple, works, & addresses

On Apr 15,  5:31pm, David Perrell wrote:

> Chris Lilley wrote:
> > Oh, gross. [...]
> > structure and content are deeply and mysteriously intertwingled.

> OK, gross.

So, we agree that it is undesirrable. Good.

> Having styling crippled by designed-in limitations of HTML
> is an abomination.

Unless you are a fan of the 'any' DTD I don't see content models as
a flaw. Besides, browsers need some hints to help with error recovery,
and knowing that a certain tag is not allowed inside another one is
a big help. Actually the more I think about this, the more I come to the
conclusion that allowing %text (ie text not inside a paragraph)
the real designed-in limitation. However, any further thoughts in that
direction should probably be shared in www-html.

> Any ideas on the best way to allow floated tables
> within paragraphs?

Depends on exactly the effect you want to achieve.

table { display: inline; float: left}

seems one obvious route but a table would still be between two
paragraphs not contained in a single one. Creative use of classes
(p.abovetable, P.belowatble) is still a hack; sibling relationships
(remember /H1/ P from older CSS drafts) might help here

P { margin-top: 12pt; margin-bottom: 0pt }
table { margin-top: 12pt; margin-bottom: 0pt }
/P/ table { margin-top: 0}
/table/ P { margin-top: 0}