CSS Book Review (by author)

> > A book on CSS has made it to the store shelves!
>Great! Has anyone read it? A review posted to this group would be
>welcome.

>-h&kon

Review of - HTML Style Sheets Quick Reference
Author    - Rob Falla
ISBN      - 0789708671

Review by author

This private review is meant for personal use by members of the www-style
mailing list only.

In writing the book I wanted to document CSS in a dictionary
or quick reference format.  Each property, attribute, and keyword for CSS1
(pre-November 1996 documentation) is defined in an alphabetical listing,
much like a dictionary.

Each defind term includes a table of related topics, assisting the reader in
using CSS to it's fullest potential.  They can see from the table which CSS
attributes can be used in place of the one selected, as well as which CSS
properties
will work with it.

Additionially, if the property is one that uses values there is a table of
related
values that the property will work with.  The 'go to page' can be ignored in
this table,
it is most useful for telling the reader which value types can be used with
this property.

Unfortunately there is "a lot of repitition" in the tables, it was unavoidable.

Over all, it's a good place for someone that is new to CSS to start.
Everything
they need to start using it on their web page is there.  As they gain
experience
with CSS, and want more, they can turn to the W3C CSS page.

Rob Falla

If you have any questions or comments about the book please send them to me
(rfalla@netroute.net).

The following is an example of the layout of definitions in the book.
margin
------
Syntax

… { margin: … }
-----------------
Definition

The margin property is a combination of; margin-top, margin-bottom,
margin-left and margin-right, sets the width of the outer edge of
the element.  It is possible to express only the one value ‘margin’.
If you choose to set two or three values {margin-top:...; margin-left:...;}
the unwritten values would be taken from the opposite sides.
-----------------
Category

Box Properties
-----------------

Example Syntax

BODY { margin: 1.2em }
----------------------

Related Values

Values     	Go to Page
auto
cm
em
ex
in
mm
pc
pt
px
length(units)
------------------------

Related Topics

Related Topics[el]	Go to Page
border
border-bottom
border-left
border-right
border-top
margin
margin-bottom
margin-left
margin-right
margin-top
padding
padding-bottom
padding-left
padding-right
padding-top

Within the next few months you will see at least two other books on CSS in
the store.

e-mail webman@cwebdev.com
CRYSTAL WEB DESIGNS     http://www.cwebdev.com/
  "It doesn't matter how slowly you go, so long as you don't stop."
                                               -Confucius-