RE: Positioning HTML Elements with Cascading Style Sheets

Chris,
>>	As co-author of Microsoft's Cascading Style Sheets Object Model (CSSOM)
>>proposal, as well as primary "stylesheets guy" on the Trident team, I'd like
>>to assure you that deprecating CSS is the *LAST* thing on our minds.  CSSOM

thanks for your assurances.

>>are to provide dynamic control of stylesheets in Web applications, to allow
>>you to do things like (very basic examples) providing UI feedback by
>>highlighting text when the mouse cursor is moved over a hot spot (hyperlink
>>or scripted item).  CSSOM allows this (in fact, that part is already

This will be an interesting alternative to using FutureSplash animations for
toolbars and buttons, which I have been experimenting with. And also to the
"Layout Control" approach I've seen being tested. Only I'm not sure how CSS
might provide a sequence of images for the button animations.

>>implemented in the soon-to-come first beta of Internet Explorer 4.0), as well
>>as querying and setting stylesheet rules for the entire document (make all
>>second-level list items disappear, for example, when a button is clicked).

Would that 'collapse' the list-outline or merely render the second-level
invisible while still taking up the same room?

>>	At any rate, CSS as a simple, declarative syntax is and (IMO) will continue
>>to be extremely useful in authoring styled Web pages.  Its simplicity is a
>>powerful strength.  I agree completely with your statement about authors

The declarative model supports what dtp people have already learned in
making up real (as opposed to virtual) style sheets. I do not feel a
programmatic stylesheet is necessary as long as constants (or whatever is
appropriate) can be introduced for adjusting metrics (like margins or font
size) to compensate for browser window settings, frames or video resolution.

Thank you,

Steve
 -:-     City Gallery ed.- http://www.webcom.com/cityg  PhotoGen list admin.
 -:-     Steve Knoblock,  knoblock@worldnet.att.net