Re: Object Model (was Re: Positioning HTML Elements with Cascading Style Sheets)

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Chris Lilley wrote:

> On Feb 2,  9:07am, Chris Josephs wrote:
>
> > If something like this isn't implemented, Several existing scripting
> > languages out there already may devise cheap "hacks" that may not take
> > full advantage of using CSS.  It's going to be a whole lot better in the
> > long run if we were to get this specified now than to regret it later.
>
> This is being worked on. Do you have any further thoughts about which
> features are the most valuable?

Personally, I think the best way to proceed is have a small group come up
with a proposal, and then have lots of people offer feedback.

I think that the scripting API ought to allow HTML text, the tags and
attributes to be changed.  It should probably also be possible to change
the style sheet somehow; but whether it's better to allow the style of an
elemement to be changed in place, or whether we should allow the style
sheet for the document to be changed on the fly, I don't know.  Probably
the latter.

It isn't clear to me though how you would tell the API which text you
want to change.  It's easy enough to have a call that looks like

	setattr(someplace, "HREF", "http://www.gnu.ai.mit.edu");

(assuming psuedo-C here)

nemo
                                                 http://www.cyclic.com/~nemo
<nemo@koa.iolani.honolulu.hi.us>                    <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
"...For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." -- Matthew 9:13