Re: Aural Cascading Style Sheets

Aymeric Poulain Maubant writes:

 > I'm aware of this topic, but Chris wrote in ACSS :
 >
 >  5.8 speak-date
 >  [...]
 >  This should really bean (sic) HTML tag not a stylesheet property, since it
 >  gives semantic information about the content.
 >
 > thus I thought this could be a good idea to add new attributes as well,
 > which could then be introduced in a future HTML DTD, if HTML will
 > officially integrate aural presentation in some days.

HTML is device independent and there is no need to integrate aural
presentation into HTML. In fact, it's a bad idea to put presentational
information into HTML since authors are likely to only support the
most popular presentation devices such as 800x600 screens thus
reducing accesibility for speech synthesizers, printers, computer
displays of the future etc. Instead of stuffing everything into HTML,
we should -- as the SGML/ODA communities discovered long time ago --
separate content from presentation. This is the motivation behind ACCS
[1] and the underlying CSS1 [2].

[1] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Style/CSS/Speech/NOTE-ACSS
[2] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/REC-CSS1

Regards,

-h&kon

H   å   k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org   W o r l d   Wide  W e b  Consortium
inria §°þ#¡ª FRANCE http://www.w3.org/people/howcome