Re: vertical-align (5.4.4)

David Perrell writes:

 > > You're assuming here that a replaced item can actually have a
 > font-size.  Is
 > > that true? It can't have a line-height currently.
 >
 > I suppose it can't have a font-size, since font-size implies
 > line-height. So my example is bogus.

It isn't. 'font-size' applies to all elements. Also, since percentage
values on 'vertical-align' are relative to 'line-height', replaced
inline elements need the 'line-height' property as well. So,
'line-height' should apply to all elements.

 > The designers did a admirable job fitting the default HTML treatment of
 > replaced elements into the CSS model. But, IMO, two changes would make
 > the spec more versatile without screwing up current behavior:
 >
 > (1) Allow any measurement for 'vertical-align', not just percentage.

This was an oversight we cannot fix at this point. Thanks for showing
how useful it can be, we'll keep it in mind for the next round.

Regards,

-h&kon

H   å   k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org   W o r l d   Wide  W e b  Consortium
inria §°þ#¡ª FRANCE http://www.w3.org/people/howcome