Re: DSSSL TEI stylesheet available

[Håkon Lie:]

| Jon Bosak writes:
|
|  > In previous messages I have pointed to versions of a DSSSL stylesheet
|  > for HTML 3.2.  The HTML 3.2 stylesheet shows how DSSSL can be used to
|  > program formatting features such as automatic table-of-contents
|  > generation that cannot be achieved in a purely declarative style
|  > language.
|
| Automatic table-of-content generation can surely be supported by
| declarative style sheets. Doesn't Panorama support TOCs this way [1] ?
|
| [1] http://www.softquad.com/products/panorama/ppfeatur.htm

Good catch.  I was trying to be brief and ended up with an
oversimplification.  Panorama navigators provide very nice tables of
contents; I was actually thinking more of CSS. :-)  However, (a) the
Panorama stylesheet language is not purely declarative, since it
contains some essential implied decision structures, and more
importantly (b) the TOC functionality, while flexible enough for most
purposes, is not truly programmable.  A DSSSL TOC is a completely
programmed function whose behavior is open to the designer of the
stylesheet.  I believe that this level of programmability could be
achieved in Panorama only by using the associated toolkit to recompile
the application.

What I should have said was that arbitrarily programmable TOCs cannot
be achieved in a purely declarative stylesheet language, which verges
on being true by definition.

Jon