Re: Re:When will CSS rule?

| >I start the document with an H1, and I use H2 - H5 through out the
| >document, and I yet I don't feel that the H1 is too large, but do
start
| >to think the H4 and H5 is getting a bit small...  That may be
because I

| No, with your wide margins the H1 is not too big. The sub-heads are
too
| small. You should set a font-size on each heading. I'd set them all
to the
| same size of course ;-) At least for a technical or educational
document I
| like to indent the heading into the margin and keep the font size the
same
| as the text, for clarity.

Yes, I think I will use CSS to make H3 through H5 all the same size,
otherwise they are getting too small...  I didn't stop to think about
"narrowed" pages, I thought my own pages were narrow compared to
everyone else that uses 800x600+ resolution, but with FRAMES and CSS1
margins, its quite easy to really become cramped for space even on a
large display (and to think I am only using 640x480 and often test on a
smaller yet window...  yikes!

| >use CSS to change the font from what is normally Verdanna on my
system
| >to "times" for just the headings.  Verdanna is an awfully large and
| >readable font when compared to the same point size of Times New
Roman
| >(is that a bug in Microsoft's definition of points?)
| >

| Some fonts are "bigger on their body" than others like Garamond takes
more
| space than Times.

My question, then, to anyone, is, isn't points supposed to refer to the
height of the tallest character which are usually the same among fonts?
 Everywhere I have used Times I notice it is quite a bit smaller than
the normal font I use, either Arial or Verdana (1 n this time ...
sorry).  I know Verdana is wide, I just thought it should be the same
height.

| >However I am not so interested in what you would still have to call
| ><TAG SOUP>...  Whether its <SPACER> or <POEM> its a lot of unneeded
| >tags.  If you want to search your poems embedded in your documents,
|
| Not tag soup. With CSS <p class=copyright> is equal (mentally) to
| <copyright> and being based through inheritance on <p> we know its
behavior.

| >or price increase).  By using a proprietary document format in
| >searching you are likely to increase the speed of the search
anyway...

| Not proprietary. With CSS <div class=poem> = <poem>. Easy for a
search
| engine to do now.

The question after this is, with HTML CLASS attributes, is there still
a need for real <POEM> tags?  Wouldn't it complicate things, requiring
browsers to constantly update, for such tags? (which is what Netscape
seems to keep doing... it seems funny that almost everything Netscape
adds, MSIE adds, but never does Netscape seem interested in MSIE
additions... hmmm)

I don't think what we call HTML should ever turn into SGML, while it is
"an application there of" it is meant to be simpler to use/parse/render
than SGML.  However, by SGML I think all people mean is content
validation... it appears to me that all SGML does is define the rules
for which content will be ... organized?  But if everyone is able to
define their own rules ... where will we be going?  (I know, anarchy!
Or is that a democracy? :) <RBEG>