Re: Repeat-x and Repeat-y

| From: Mary Morris <marym@Finesse.COM>
| To: www-style@w3.org
| Subject: Repeat-x and Repeat-y
| Date: Monday, November 18, 1996 6:46 AM
|
| Can someone give me an example of how repeat-x and/or
| repeat-y should work? I don't see any examples, and I'm
| not sure what the syntax would be in the long string.
| Can I specify both repeat-x and repeat-y or must I
| specify both.

I believe you just use them

{ background: url(somefile) repeat-x repeat-y; }

Either can be used, why would two different tags be created it they had
to be used together :)?

| For example, what if I want to repeat an image twice down
| the left side of the screen and have it fixed (so that something
| on the background lines up with text)?

I don't remember reading that they took any arguments, and as such I
don't think you can specify how many times to "repeat" as I think
repeat means indefinitely.  What it will allow a web designer to do is
create a small image that occupies the edge of the screen, without
worrying that the image will repeat when the screen is scrolling in the
other direction... right now designers make their images as wide as
their page is ever likely to be, and most of them stop just short of a
1200x1024 or 1600x1200 resolution, meaning their image would wrap
anyway on such a display.