From: "James Clark" <jjc@jclark.com>
Date: 11 Nov 1996 13:33:08 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.text.sgml
Subject: Jade (DSSSL implementation) beta release

I am happy to announce the first beta release of Jade (James' DSSSL
Engine) , my implementation of the DSSSL style language.  For more
information see http://www.jclark.com/jade/.

Jade is freely available, with source code, with no restrictions on
commercial use.  The development platforms are Windows 95 and Windows
NT, but it also works on Unix.

Jade allows you to display and print SGML documents; you control it by
specifying a DSSSL style sheet.  It has a modular design that allows
you to add support for new output formats by adding a new "backend".
At the moment the most mature backend is for RTF (as supported by
Microsoft Word for Windows 95). A TeX backend has been contributed by
David Megginson.

Jade currently supports the DSSSL Online subset of DSSSL with some
additions.

Jade is designed to have good performance.  On the portable computer
from which I am posting this it can turn the SGML source of the DSSSL
standard into an RTF document of over 200 pages in under 20 seconds.
On a high-end PC, it's more than twice as fast.

Note that this package doesn't include any example style sheets nor
any tutorial materials, so it is primarily intended for those who want
to create their own style sheets and who are willing to learn how to
do so by reading the DSSSL standard.

James Clark
jjc@jclark.com