Re: floating images flush bottom

 lee@sq.com wrote:
> Really, you're asking for break/paragraph properties, such as most

No, I don't think so. Note that the IMG is contained within the
paragraph. When the IMG is floated it becomes a child element and yet
outside the normal flow. It "floats" to the closest edges of the parent
element, but so far as possible not outside them. In the case of an IMG
at the beginning of a paragraph, the treatment is very clear in the
latest CSS1 spec previewed here recently. The treatment of floated
elements near the end of the paragraph is not clearly specified.

As for how much power to give CSS, I think that will depend in part on
how clearly the formatting model is specified and how consistent it is
throughout. If the entire rendering process could be culled into as few
basic functions as possible, it could be very powerful indeed.

I was really hoping the "tag wars" would evolve to "property wars",
where presentation enhancements would apply to a class of existing
elements instead of spawning new ones. NS insisted on spawning
MULTICOLS. Wouldn't it have been much better to add "cols:" to style,
applicable to any block element?

David
(whistling in the wind again)