French typograhical rules for spaces (was Re: space )

First of all, I'm _not_ a typographer. I'm just a frenchman who searches
his library. Here are the rules (in a mixed french/english vocabulary,
as I do not know the exact english terminology) for spacing as given
by the "Imprimerie Nationale". I think this will help, but you better
should contact some frenchman from the Gutenberg project.

	BEFORE					AFTER

	no space			,	espace-mots secable
	no space			.	espace-mots secable

	espace-mots insecable		:	espace-mots secable

	quart cadratin insecable	;	espace-mots secable
	quart cadratin insecable	!	espace-mots secable
	quart cadratin insecable	?	espace-mots secable

	no space			-	no space
	no space			'	no space

as in " l'aventure " (I mean : "'" is not a quote here)

	espace-mots insecable		(	no space

	no space			)	espace-mots secable

	espace-mots secable		[	no space

	no space			]	espace-mots secable

	espace-mots secable		<<	espace-mots insecable

	espace-mots insecable		>>	espace-mots secable

(Last two are french quotes)

Terminology :

* "no space" : well, you see what I mean

* "espace-mots secable" :== 'espace justifiante' :== the basic space
(which can be expanded for justifying purposes)

* "espace-mots insecable" :== you cannot have a newline here (this is
not really &nbsp; because you _must_ see some blank between both
characters separated by such a space)

* "quart cadratin insecable" :== 'espace fine' :== This is a
"espace-mots insecable" with a *fixed* measure of 1/4 cadratin (but I
do not know the exact length for one cadratin).

All in all, this makes 3 differents spaces in french, the first two
with variable lengths and the last one with fixed length (well, truly
there are some exceptions, which i.e. spaces of 1/2 quadratin which
are "espace-mots insecable" with a fixed length). A normal
"espace-mot" is 1/3 of a cadratin.

Something funny now : "espace" is masculine in french, but when it is
used in a typographical context, it becomes feminine.

	Aymeric