Re: New CSS1 draft available

Bert,

> > > If P is a block and H3 is inline, then there will be breaks before and
> > > after the H3 and H3 itself is therefore implicitly enclosed in a
> > > (nameless) block as well. Making P inline won't work either...

thanks for pointing this out. I had suspected that merely declaring H3 to be
in-line would not work. Still it made sense to think in terms of running-in
the heading and was not obvious that the status of the following paragraph
would interfere.

If you were to use a run-in property, I think it would have to be specified
on the H and the P elements. Otherwise, how would you handle the P element
that follows? That is where your block-starter and block-ender might be more
easily  grasped and more universal. However, if we could find a way to set
run-in only on the element that is being run-in (heading, list heading,
definition title), that would more traditional.

>Good point! Let's try to develop the list of requirements. Given
>markup like this:
>
>      <X>Heading</X>
>      <Y>Text text text...</Y>
>
>we need ways to do all of the following:
>
>1. Simple headings
>
>      HEADING
>
>      Text text text text te-
>      xt text text...

Default to block, as it is now.

>2. Simple run-in headings:
>
>      HEADING Text text text
>      text text text...
>
>   Additional problem: how to specify what is inserted between X and
>   Y?

Well, the typical run-in sidehead would have only the normal inter-word spacing.

How about using the text-indent property?

x {
   display: block-starter;
}

y {
   display: block-ender;
   text-indent: 2%;
}

For example:

HEADING         Text text text text
text text text text...

Or perhaps margin should control the spacing around the H:

x {
   display: block-starter;
   margin-right: 2%
}

y {
   display: block-ender;
}

>3. Text Y must start at a specific horizontal position:
>
>      HEADING  Text text text te-
>               xt text text...
>
>      LONG HEADING
>               Text text text te-
>               xt text text...
>
>   (Is there a connection here with tabulation?) This is the situation
>   that James referred to. It is reminiscent of the line-field flow
>   object of DSSSL. `X{display:line-field}' could be a start.

Seems to e more of a hanging indent combined with a run-in heading.  How are
you going to handle hanging indents? With margin on the paragraph element?

For the run-in:

x {
   margin-left:10%;
   display: block-starter;
}

y {
  margin-left:15%;
   display: block-ender;
   text-indent: 2%;
}

>   This looks like a float to me...

Preferable, for this complex layout.

>    Could be difficult; on the other hand, maybe we get this one for
>    free when we pick the right model...

I think margins combined with the block-starter and block-ender properties
would cover this case.

>else). Finally, please complete this sentence: "I always use CSS,
>because..."

it discourages the use 'kwel' graphics.

Steve
   _/     Steve Knoblock
             knoblock@worldnet.att.net
   _/     City Gallery - History of Photography
             http://www.webcom.com/cityg
   _/     Member:  National Stereoscopic Association
            http://www.tisco.com/3d-web/nsa/nsa.htm