Re: Frames and Documents (fwd)

Stephanos Piperoglou <spip@hol.gr> wrote:
> The glitch in Netscape's spec is that it specifies the frameset document,
> but affter you load it all you get is it's name stuck in a URL (since
> there is no way to specify a URL that contains all frames), in your "View
> Source" option, and on your display.  No way to reference anything except
> the initial documents

You are right, Stephanos.  Frames also create a problem for bookmarks.
But it might not be possible to jump directly into the middle of a series
of frames -- they may be generated by CGI programs, for example.

However, consider a URL such as
    http://www.some.where/path/to/frametop.html##body=url/of/body.html
which a hypothetical browser might take to mean
[1]  load http://www.some.where/path/to/frametop.html
[2]  load any subframe documents, but if there is a frame or target window
     called "body", do not load it
[3]  load url/of/body.html into subwindow or subframe "body", using the
     specification in frametop.html if ther is one, or creating the
     window if there is not.

I _think_ this would be a reasonable sort of interpretation of how one
might want things to behave.

Lee

--
Liam Quin, SoftQuad Inc    | lq-text freely available Unix text retrieval
lee@sq.com +1 416 544-9000 | FAQs: Metafont fonts, OPEN LOOK UI, OpenWindows