Re: Comments on Working Draft 26-July-96

On Sep 6,  8:56am, Scott E. Preece wrote:

> Actually, I think this says that there needs to be a way for the author
> to request that a particular font be used for a particular font-style
> when another particular font is the normal.  Like:
>
> 	{ font-family: bembo[italic: blado] }

Or something. Yes, we need to be able to express that.

> For instance, the author
> might specify three font-families, in order of preference, but want
> to use condensed if the second is selected or might want to use a larger
> size in one font than another.

Using the condensed face should be no problem. Making properties depend
on other properties is a problem, because it turns a declarative syntax
into a procedural language and you need to check for dependency loops.

> Another alternative would be to provide a way of defining a font-family,
> which could then be used in the normal font-family specification.  Like:
> 	define-font-family:	{ name: sans;
> 				  normal: 12pt/14pt sans-serif;
> 				  italic: 14pt blado, 14pt sans-serif
> 				  ...}
> this admittedly doesn't fit very neatly in the current CSS1 form, which
> has no space for declarative specifications...

Yet. Declarative specifications for fonts which group together CSS font
properties and other information are being worked out at the moment,
although the specs are not yet ready for public comment. Your timely
input on the subject is helpful in moving the specs towards that
status, however.

+33 93 65 79 87            06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France