Re: Frames - does anyone like them?

On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, Mary Morris wrote:

> One of the biggest problems that I have heard from the usability
> people is that frames don't allow you to bookmark places very
> well because each frame is an individual document, thus you can
> get various combinations of documents. How are we going to deal
> with the addressing issues?
>
> I see the layout of the frames themselves as being a presentation issue
> even though they are also a container. Even if you could bookmark the
> URLs for all frames displayed in the window, you still need to retain
> the positioning and sizing of the frames themselves somewhere.
>
> It would be easy if you had all frames as fixed URLs except one.
> Then you could define a frame style (the position and style and
> fixed URLs) in the head of the main changing page and just tell
> the browser which frame is the variable frame so that the browser
> can bookmark it. However, if you have multiple variable frames,
> it is going to be fun figuring out how to bookmark the unique
> instance of frame x being URL y and frame z being URL w ad nauseum...

The best thing to do would be to have all frames in the same HTML document.

Thus you could have:

<TITLE>Something</TITLE>
<SPAN STYLE="frame: top ; height: 15em">
Company logo and nice stuff
</SPAN>
The main document here
<SPAN STYLE="frame: bottom ; height: 10em">
Some extra navigational stuff
</SPAN>

Hence:

A user agent that recognises this structure gives you three frames. One that
doesn't, gives you the navigational stuff inline at the top and bottom of
the document, but in one frame. I think this is pretty elegant...

= Stephanos Piperoglou = stephanos@hol.gr = http://users.hol.gr/~stephanos/ =
  Four lines in a .sig can't say enough about why you should visit my page!
"I want peace on earth and good will toward man"
"We're the United States Government, we don't do that sort of thing!"
                                    [ from the film "Sneakers" ]

                                                       ...oof porothika! (tm)