Re: Images as alternatives to text instead of the reverse

Ka-Ping Yee wrote:

> Stephanos Piperoglou wrote:
> >
> > So I was wondering wether it would be a good idea to
> > include in CSS1 to replace an element with an image, rather than doing the
> > opposite in HTML. So I could have
> >
> > <H1 CLASS="H1.worldport">WorldPort</H1>
> >
> > or
> >
> > <H1 STYLE="altimage: images/worldport_logo-big.jpg">WorldPort</H1>
>
> I just wanted to say that i think this is rather a good idea.

I'd like to say quite the opposite.  The usage of images is not a whim
of the document designer.  It isn't really equivalent to put text in
place of an image either.  And it isn't "stylistic" to me.

I agree that there is far too much presentation stuff in HTML,  but the
IMG tag isn't a particularly guilty member.  Images are content,  they
are not presentation.  Images are not directly replacable by text when
they are used for navigation,  nor does all the information in the image
get conveyed when the alternative text is put in place of the image.

Think of the alternative text as more of a hack to get around poor
bandwidth of connections,  or the lack of richness in a user agent which
is rendering to a text terminal.

Doug
--
Doug Rand <drand@sgi.com>		(508) 567 - 2217