Re: Images as alternatives to text instead of the reverse

On Wed, 21 Aug 1996, Chris Lilley wrote:

> You can already set a background image on any element in css. Recently, it was
> proposed that colors should also have alpha values. So, one possibility would
> be
>
> h1.worldport {
>   background: url(http://site/images/worldport_logo-big.jpg);
>   padding: 120pt 80pt;
>   color: rgba (0% 0% 0% 0%)
> }
>
> This stops the text being placed  on top of the image (by giving it 0% opacity
> - fully transparent), but is not really satisfactory because the size of the
> element still depends on the size of the (invisible, but still displayed) text.
>
> Using display: none would turn off the display of the entire element, including
> it's backgrouns image, so that would not be desirable. The font-size could be
> set to zero points, I suppose. None of these options seems especially elegant.

So what about my proposal? Do you think it's doable or useful? The point is
to specify that for the specific element, the *image* is the preferred
rendering style for the content of the element, although the content is
merely text. This would make a lot more sense than having an IMG (or an
equivalent OBJECT) tag in the page. Does anyone think this would be a useful
addition to CSS?

= Stephanos Piperoglou = stephanos@hol.gr = http://users.hol.gr/~stephanos/ =
  Four lines in a .sig can't say enough about why you should visit my page!
"I want peace on earth and good will toward man"
"We're the United States Government, we don't do that sort of thing!"
                                    [ from the film "Sneakers" ]

                                                       ...oof porothika! (tm)