Re: Functionality of Note via CSS?

Just cleaning up some old mail...

Charles Peyton Taylor wrote, on 16 July 1996:

 > Is there a way of acheiving the functionality of the
 > note element (from the defunct HTML 3.0) using HTML
 > 3.2 (or 2.0) and CSS?
 >
 > I can see using a paragraph with a class, but how would
 > I specify the accompanying icon using CSS?  (ie. not
 > using the IMG HTML element.)
 >
 > Hey, if we added a pseudo-element .... I could rewrite
 > that proposal I did for the lists and HR's.  I looked
 > in the CSS spec, but I didn't see anything that looked
 > like an Icon.

There is an icon in the list-style, you could maybe use that:

    div.note {
      display: list-item;
      list-style: url(note.png);
      margin: 1em 3em
    }

    first line.
    browsers implement this &sadsmiley;

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/People/Bos/                      INRIA/W3C
  +33 93 65 77 71                 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France