Re: deprecated tags in Wilbur & Cougar -Reply -Reply

> I basically agree with your other points - semantic information is
> better carried by elements than classes (since that allows validation
> against a DTD) and the right way for this to evolve is via browsers that
> actually support SGML and arbitrary DTDs.

You may care to look back at my HTML+ proposal from 1993 which made
provision for author extensions to the DTD for phrase markup using
hooks in the DTD and the document type subset. HTML+ also allowed
you to specify the rendering for such tags, but this is better
handled via style sheets. Perhaps I should put a hook into Cougar
for such tags. For the current state of the Cougar spec see:

        http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/Cougar/HTML.dtd

-- Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> tel: +1 (617) 258 5741 fax: +1 (617) 258 5999
   World Wide Web Consortium, 545 Technology Square, Cambridge, MA 02139
   url = http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett