Re: negative margins?

I approve of negative margins for headings like the 12th edition Chicago
Manual of Style uses. But  I was able to create the effect with headings set
to say 5% and the paragrah margins set to say 15%. I think traditionally
they are considered negative indention.

I hope the use for layering will not cause problems.This use seems to belong
more to the realm of frames and page layout.

Steve

At 02:36 PM 7/17/96 +0000, Hakon Lie wrote:
>Brian Behlendorf writes:
>
> > I'm watching Microsoft's style sheets informercial on the Mbone right now
> > (hi Bert!).  They are making a big deal about being able to indicate
> > *negative* inter-text margins to accomplish layering of text over text for
> > Wired-magazine-ish effects.  Is this a, uh, recommended piece of
> > functionality?
>
>Yes. This has been one of the sticking issues in the past, but based
>on implementation experience in Arena and MSIE it will probably go in
>-- it's not that hard!. Negative indentation and margins enable som
>very interesting visual effects -- see [1] for some screen shots using
>CSS an MSIEb2. The specification will probably have some wording about
>implementation-specific limitations on negative values.
>
>[1] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Style/css/msie/img/
>
>Regards,
>
>-h&kon
>
>Hakon W Lie, W3C/INRIA, Sophia-Antipolis, France
>http://www.w3.org/people/howcome  howcome@w3.org

 _/     City Gallery - History of Photography
          http://www.webcom.com/cityg

 _/     PhotoGen -  Photography and Genealogy Mailing List
          http://genealogy.org/~mangold

_/     Member:  National Stereoscopic Association
         http://www.tisco.com/3d-web/nsa/nsa.htm

          Steve Knoblock
          Webmaster/Listowner
          knoblock@worldnet.att.net