Re: Gutter language

Ka-Ping Yee writes:

 > David Perrell wrote:
 > >
 > > Of course, WWW authors will be denied gutters.
 >
 > Not necessarily!  What about style sheets for printing?

Sure [1]. The first outcome of the printing workshop was a W3C
working group on fonts -- which are important both for glass and
paper.

For some very early work on how CSS can support the concept of pages,
see [2].

 > > But from experience
 > > I contend that alleys are preferable
 >
 > Supporting vote for "alley".
 >
 > Nice, short, simple term with an obvious meaning and easily
 > distinguishable from "gutter".

I'm all for finding non-ambigous terms; "leading" is useless these
days due to two different interpretations. "Alley"? Perhaps -- has the
term been used in this context before? It's not in the "glossary".

BTW, we've combined the "column-width" and "gutter" properties in [3]
and now use "columns" with two arguments instead.

[1] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Printing/
[2] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/WD-layout.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Style/css/multi-column.html

Regards,