[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: CSS and Eccentric Poems.

Stephanos Piperoglou wrote:

> The "problem" as I see it is that, even in light of CSS1 implementation,
> there is no tag that has NO other purpose other than applying a style to a
> selection. Styles can only be applied to phrase markup and block elements
> that ALREADY carry a meaning of sorts. When this is content markup, all's
> fine and dandy.

And that's what it should be.  CLASS assigns a more specific shade of
meaning to a marked-up piece of text.  If you need to assign a meaning
that doesn't fit with any existing structural element, then you can use SPAN.

> What we should have is simply a tag (something like FORMAT or RENDER) which
> only has one attribute: CLASS.

If my understanding is correct, i think you have missed the point.

The purpose of CLASS should go far beyond just applying stylesheets.
CLASS *is* content markup, and you should be able to hook in lots of things
besides stylesheets (as well as choosing among different stylesheets for
different preferences or different media).

Ping