Storm in an Tag-Cup

Having spent my last two days evaluating all the new Netscape extensions
as it relates to real end users and reading all the furious e-mail from
this group, I have to say that I don't know what all the ruffling of
feathers here is about.

1) The multi-column capability is an easy implementation of something a
lot of people want to do.
2) The SPACING tag is something a lot of ordinary Web authors have been
hacking at for a long time.
3) The new frames attributes are pretty negligible, just a little
cosmetic feature that the market will play with and probably get bored
with. Frames have their uses, but after the thrill's over they seem less
satisfying.
3) The only real feature that affects the style group is the FONT FACE
biz. And anybody who seriously tries to program an entire site with the
FONT tag with this new attribute will quickly see the folly, in the face
of the simpler approach of style sheets. But I can also see the real use
for people who only want to code a page or two and don't want to have to
learn a whole 'nother language on top of HTML.

I don't think that any of the new Netscape 3.0 extensions are going to
undermine all the good work that's being done on style sheets. What you
have to remember is that there a lot of people out there that don't know
HTML at all. Keep in mind you're 3 to 5 years ahead of the masses, and
you don't even have the software to support simple HTML yet. This is not
about Netscape versus Microsoft. It's about making things accessible for
everybody, not just programmers.

Sorry, but I just had to add my 2 cents (or pence or centimes or pesos).

Gayle Kidder
http://www.zoomsd.com/aboutus.html