Re: Introducing NetscapeML

On Mon, 1 Jul 1996, Geoffrey Baker wrote:

> The bottom line is *heresy*. No developer cares much about whether a new
> tag is part of the standard; all they want to know is a) is it neat? and
> b) if I write it into my code, how many people are likely to see it?

If developers didn't care about standards, then nobody would be on these
mailing lists.

> This may mean we have some very improper tags - and some truly awful ones.
> But if it means that a developer can offer columns, leading control, exact
> placement for graphics, and so forth... developers will use them.

Yes, SOME will use them, and it could very well lead to decreased
readership of the web since you cannot guarauntee that everyone uses the
same browser.  If you knew there was a real "awful tag" out there, would
you use it just for the sake of it?  Let's not forget how many bad FRAMES
sites came out soon after NS2.0 was available.

Sure, you can download "Netscape Now", but can you guarauntee that
Netscape will continue to allow you to download Netscape for nothing?
What's to stop them from charging sixty dollars a copy?

> I look forward to checking out Netscape's latest... and suggest Microsoft
> that they had better get back to the drawing boards... this is one race
> that will never end.

It probably won't end soon, but I wouldn't place any bets either.

Email |  mailto:cpj1@winternet.com
Web   |  http://www.winternet.com/~cpj1/