Re: Introducing NetscapeML

At 03:25 30/06/96 -0400, Matthew James Marnell wrote:
>Yes, somewhat refreshing and scary.  While we know that the fine
>people that participate here on these lists are with the standards
>track, I can't help but wonder if the upper management in Redmond
>might not tell the developers to "out-Netscape" Netscape.  I feel
>that that would hurt the whole process.

Only the market leader (in installed base) ignores standards. All of those
in second to last place support standards because standards have the effect
of "levelling the field." Microsoft _cannot_ out-Netscape Netscape yet,
because too few page authors would use structural tags that Netscape does
not support. MARQUEE and BGSOUND are one thing...but FRAME and OBJECT are
another. When/If Microsoft has the lead in the market, we will be able to
judge their true interest in standards compliance.

 Paul Prescod