Re: what happens if first-line contains markup?

Neil,

 > In several places in the CSS1 doc, it mentions the "fictional tag sequence",
 > but doesn't define that concept or refer to a definition.

I'll define it better in the next round, thanks.

A fictional tag sequence is the original tag sequence (from the HTML
document) + any tags resulting from addressing pseudo-elements. In the
example below, <P:first-line> is a fictional tag and the sequence is
then called fictional.

 > >   <P><P:first-line><EM>The</EM> first line</P:first-line> ...

Regards,

-h&kon

http://www.w3.org/people/howcome  howcome@w3.org