Re: Break <STYLE> into pieces

On Fri, 14 Jul 1995, Drazen Kacar wrote:
> I've read the HTML 3.0 specs and Style Sheets draft and came to
> conclusion that the data in the STYLE element could easily become
> larger than the text of the document. There are (will be) user agents
> that can apply only part of style suggestions (due to limitations of
> hardware or user request) and there is no need for such agents to
> parse the whole thing.

Hmm - don't see much way around it unless we were do define levels of
styles and negotiate that via HTTP.  I definitely would not recommend
that.

Let's put aside for a second the question of whether <STYLE> could be abused
by too much information there - *any* technology can be abused in this
manner.  Instead, let's consider that a well-designed collection of objects
will have a hierarchy, and that hierarchical style sheets can be applied
using that hierarchy.  In other words, Wired magazine will have a style sheet
that applies to its server as a whole, (e.g. address.align = left), to its
magazine archive (P.margin = 5 ems) and a particular style that might apply
to a single page (*.background = purple).  If the stylesheets are arranged
intelligently they can be cached quite easily, so the page-specific
stylesheet can ideally be quite small.

	Brian