Re: multi-col table layout Fwd: accessible tables

This should be doable with standard css. Multicol implementations are still somewhat buggy and/or incomplete, but otherwise this should work, and it does in chrome and safari (maybe edge also, but I'm on a mac, so I did not test):

<!doctype html>
table {
 columns: 2;
 display: block;
 float: left; /*for shrink-wrapping, otherwise not needed*/
}
caption {
 column-span: all;
 display: block;
}
 <caption>caption of the table</caption>
 <tbody>
 </tbody>

The only difference with your plaintext rendering is that the column headers are not repeated. If that's needed to, the story gets longer. I'll give you the details if you care, but for now I'll skip in case you don't.

—Florian