Re: [css-writing-modes] Compatible proposal for a merge of direction and writing-mode

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 11:51:18 -0800
fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> On 01/15/2018 03:12 PM, Dennis Heuer wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 14:14:57 -0800
> > fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> >

> >> The reason for this is that the 'direction' property is not really
> >> a property of the document style, but of the document content.
> >> Authors are strongly discouraged, as it says in the specification,
> >> from using the 'direction' property and are encouraged to use the
> >> 'dir' attribute in HTML. The raw text of the document will not
> >> display correctly in UAs that don't support CSS, for example, if
> >> the 'dir' attribute is not set correctly in the HTML.
> >>
> >> The block flow direction, which 'writing-mode' sets, however, is a
> >> stylistic choice. The author will choose whether to set it based on
> >> the desired layout of the page. It belongs in CSS.
> >
> > Don't get the point! You made settings illogic only because you did
> > not want to place the red warning down to the property
> > writing-mode? That's all that is neccessary. And, what did you
> > gain? You now have a lonely property nobody shall use because of
> > that red warning! What a strategy! Merge back both properties, put
> > the warning for HTML-writers to that one property and let people
> > set both 'dir' and 'writing mode' because this is not a burden and
> > will be the common tip in all blogs out there!
>
> People are welcome to set 'dir' in their HTML. We do not want them
> setting 'direction' in their HTML, as it was a mistake for this to
> become part of the style layer.

Like transition or compositing or ... You should be over this. css is
already something very different than the name tells. And, writing
vertically is a style in my eyes. Not less than compositing...

You do not read my emails! I also don't want the property direction.
That is very clear! But I see a use in getting away (compatible) from
'horizontal-tb' (urghhh) to 'ltr-tb' in those cases where css is
supported. You said that direction was split from writing-mode because
of possible missing css support. This is talking void to me. If css
support is not there, then both properties are not supported. If css
support is there, both properties are supported. So, aehh, whatfor was
the split?

And what about the non-HTML cases? The warning is only for HTML? And if
(and only if) setting the writing direction with css was a mistake, why
the property direction at all. Why you didn't just change the keywords
for writing-mode? Are there still cases? And why those cases need two
properties. You did not explain. Instead, you wrote illogics! And that's
why you get those answers! This is nothing about me! My solution is
still the only one speaking sense here and also not a problem.

However, you do not reply to what I wrote. Actually, you don't seem to
get the sense! I won't bother anymore...

> > You think very strange here at W3C - very strange!
>
> We take the time to understand the system and all of its implications
> before we think, and you seem to just take your first impression. If
> you spent as much time as I did investigating bidi, and usability, and
> Web architecture, then you would not think it so strange.
>
> ~fantasai

Dennis Heuer
einz@verschwendbare-verweise.seinswende.de