Re: [css-ui] css-counter-styles or outline

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 10:55:03 +0900
Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
> Writing to this mailing list is reasonably likely to work, but there
> is also a risk that your comment will be overlooked because this is
> not how we triage and track issues. As I presume you are interested in
> getting your issues addressed, I recommend using github in the
> future.

Sorry that we'll not meet!

> > It remains unclear how to set the text where (e.g. is title =
> > subject and is summary of comment = css-counter-styles?):
>
> Github issues, as we request that you file, have a "title" field.
> This is where you should write the title.
>
> A summary of your comment means just that: you summarize what you are
> writing about. If you think for example that there is a problem in the
> grammar of the outline property, you would write "[css-ui] problem
> with the grammar of the outline property", and then give details in
> the body issue.

Still remains unclear where to put: css-counter-styles?

To be honest, what is written in the document is hardly analysable!

> Regardless of the merits of your proposal, it is not practical to
> consider changing how multicolumn works at this point. This
> specification has existed for many years, has been implemented by
> browsers for many years, and has been used on the web for many years.
>
> This is very often a concern we have to deal with: changing
> specifications in ways that would cause existing content to display
> differently would cause lost of web sites to fail, and therefore web
> browsers will refuse to make such change, even if it would be a good
> idea otherwise. We typically call that "breaking the web", as in "can
> we change foo to bar? No, that would break the web. Ah, forget it
> then".
>
> The changes you suggest fall into that category, so I am afraid this
> suggestion has to be rejected.
>
> —Florian

That is the nonsense I heard very often now here at this place. You are
at github but have no clou of versioning? The most important browsers
still support broken websites from their times of f*cking browser war.
So why you can't just define a rule like:

css: 3;

and let the rest of the www get interpreted for css21? My god, then you
could stay away from your should-we-leave-that mentality and clean up!

No, I don't accept your way here because it is stubborn and backwards
and, firstmost, illogic. Websites got broken several times now -
because of you guys (you remember the early days?) but specifically the
browser guys. And this is normal! GNOME switches regularly, KDE is a
mess, Apple just switched the core language and Windows is a
maintenance crisis. Is Windows dead?????????????

Clean up, guys! Get VERSIONING!

Dennis Heuer
einz@verschwendbare-verweise.seinswende.de