Re: [css-multicol] width:medium and style:none initially???

> On Jan 15, 2018, at 3:56, Dennis Heuer <einz@verschwendbare-verweise.seinswende.de> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I already wrote this to the border-guys from whom you seem to inherit
> rules (but your links ain't work, always lead to the beginning of the
> border-spec)
>
> You inherit the rules for borders when you state that the
> column-rule-width is medium and the column-rule-style is none. This
> causes the same (unneccessary) extra convention:
>
> "The none value forces the computed value of column-rule-width to be 0."
>
> ---
> Btw., one could argue that, against this convention, the column-rule
> should still take the space but be invisible, rather causing
> column-rule-color to be set to translucent.
> ---
>
> In contrast, the property text-decoration-style defaults to solid, and
> the property text-decoration-line defaults to none. This is far more
> sane in two ways:
>
> 1) No neccessity for the above extra convention
>
> 2) The 'on/off-switch' for the decoration line is the line property
> instead of the style property, which is far more logical from my point
> of view. Because text-decoration-color is initially currentcolor,
> setting text-decoration-line to, say, underline gives a nice default
> underline of solid style in text color. That is good! I'd want this for
> column-rulers as well! Specify the initial value for width as none,
> the initial value for style as solid and the initial value for color as
> currentcolor and switching width to medium gives a nice default ruler!
>
> 3) Now style:none can mean an invisible divider (a line of space) or is
> just a redundant value (also a good thing, if you skip it!)

Hi,

Thank you for this comment. This issue is similar to the one you raised
against the css-ui specification in the following email:

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2018Jan/0040.html

The answer is similar as well:

Regardless of the merits of your proposal, we cannot change the behavior
of a property that has been shipping in multiple web browsers for several
years without breaking significant amounts of contents.

Best regards,
—Florian Rivoal