Re: text-decoration-skip-ink auto should continue past behavior - 30+ years of underline behavior changed by latest CSS draft

Le 2018-02-21 13:15, OwN-3m-All a écrit :
>> It *is* progress.
>
> In your opinion.  I don't agree.
>
>> Apple totally did it right; it’s the others who have been doing it
>> wrong.
>
> Again, opinion.  It's not a matter of fact.  The underline change is
> opinion based.
>
> The new way is inconsistent and looks bad to my eyes.
>
> You really prefer the way Chrome renders this text as oppose to
> Firefox?
>
> https://s17.postimg.org/qqhjdkyfx/chrome_underline_ugly.jpg
>
> I don't.

As far as I can see in your screenshot and after closer examination with
regards to 'text-decoration-skip-ink: auto', the property
text-decoration-skip-ink does not apply to normal blank white space
(U+0020). That is important to state in this discussion.

I initially (and incorrectly) thought that property
text-decoration-skip-ink had a rendering effect on normal blank white
space (U+0020).

Finally, note that accessibility advocacy groups and experts formally
discourage using underlining of non-clickable text and items. You want
to reduce confusion, guesswork, hesitation of users.

Gérard