Re: text-decoration-skip-ink auto should continue past behavior - 30+ years of underline behavior changed by latest CSS draft

From: OwN-3m-All <own3mall@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 12:04:50 -0700
To: Tadeus Prastowo <tadeus.prastowo@unitn.it>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
> If every browser had chosen to not cut through descenders, would you had any problem with the current CSS strengthening the default to not cut through descenders?

Thankfully, we didn't go that route in the beginning.  I prefer the
line cutting through the descenders after seeing both styles.  Since
I've seen it that way all of my life, I think that's the way it should
be done.  That's my whole point.  A default has been established, and
we should keep using that as the default.

Open any word processing app like Microsoft Word.  Underlined text
works the way I describe.  It's only recently that someone had the
idea to change it, and why?  What was wrong with the old way?
Nothing.