Rules for Simple Placement of Ruby

From: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2018 00:29:40 +0900
Cc: member-18n-core@w3.org
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Hello CSS-WG,

Professor Kobayashi, participating in Keio University's
Advanced Publishing Laboratory[1], has written a memo
about how to layout ruby in Japanese, to share with the
CSS-WG, hoping it would be useful for our work.

This is a simple approach, focused on getting the defaults
right, rather than on offering lots of options. In a way,
this is a complement to JLReq: while JLReq describes all
the variants that may be encountered, this describes what
you should do in the typical case.

I think this is an interesting read on its own, and that
it may help us answer some of the open issues in the
css-ruby spec, or identify some desirable improvements.

I expect this will eventually be submitted via the i18n-WG,
but for now, I have made an English translation available
from here:

https://florian.rivoal.net/ruby/

I'll give a brief introduction about this during our F2F
in Berlin next week.

If anyone has questions, I will be happy to translate and
relay them to Professor Kobayashi, or to answer the easy
ones myself.

—Florian
[1] https://www.kri.sfc.keio.ac.jp/en/lab/aplab.html