Re: [css-backgrounds] border-position

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 6:39 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
wrote:

> One of the key differences here is that the border in CSS takes
> up space. It does this so that it doesn't overlap other content--
> the browser can ensure enough space where needed, and the author
> doesn't have to adjust margins/padding every time s/he adjusts
> the border width. This is good behavior for a layout tool.
>
> Illustrator and Sketch are drawing tools, so they would output
> SVG shapes, not CSS boxes, in which case the 'stroke' property
> is used, and that centers on the boundary as you expect.
>
> Given that, I'm not really sure CSS needs a border-position.
> Could be convinced otherwise, but it'd need more specific
> examples of where it's needed. :)
>
> ~fantasai

Thanks for clarifying! I guess I don't really have more specific examples,
it really is just a nice thing to have in the authoring process. And as
much as I conceive the theoretical difference between a drawing and a
layout tool, the fact is that they're closely related in the way we build
web interfaces.