Re: Shorthands resetting properties they cannot set

Le 28/11/2017 à 00:01, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :

> Really tho, I'm just confused by the behavior Daniel discovered. I'd
> need to dig - is that actually required behavior? It seems weird to
> tear apart the shorthand declaration just because you added a longhand
> - that could just as easily have just been "border: thin solid red;
> border-top-color: blue;".

That would probably help but where do you stop? I mean when do you
stop overriding 'border' through longhands instead of using longhands
only? When more than half of longhands are overriden? From an
implementation's point of view, that's going to be painful.

People really expect

  border-color: red; border-width: thin; border-style: solid;

and

  border: red thin solid;

to be the same thing. Furthermore, there's a question of stylesheet
readability and maintainability. We've changed a twenty years old
behaviour that impacts the way people author borders.

</Daniel>