Re: Shorthands resetting properties they cannot set

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017, at 07:09 AM, Daniel Glazman wrote:
> So I really wonder if our choice here of allowing some shorthands to
> reset properties they cannot set was reasonable and if we've not
> sacrificed easiness of authoring for an edge case that was not worth
> it, and if a note in the spec saying a 'border' property will apply the
> desired styles only if 'border-image' is also reset to its initial
> value was not a much better, because more coherent, design. Our current
> design is understandable, but weird.

Another way around could probably be to have shorthands able to express
more combination of value of its common-used longhands.

In this specific case, if border shorthand is able to express different
sides differently, authors wouldn't see the expanded form, e.g.
something like
> border: thin solid blue, thin solid red, thin solid red;

- Xidorn