Re: [CSS2] Proposed process for maintaining CSS2

From: Geoffrey Sneddon <me@gsnedders.com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 20:55:59 -0400
To: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>, Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com>
On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 3:07 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
> We’ve had several conversations about CSS2 maintenance recently. I’ve added a summary of the current state of the proposal to the wiki:
>
> https://wiki.csswg.org/spec/rec-maintenance
>
> Please use this thread to discuss any changes or clarifications we may need to make.

I discussed a bunch of things around the CSS2 maintenance story with
plh today; I'll let him correct me if I mis-summarise him!

I believe he views "We want a draft with changes in-line for review
published on TR" as a goal we don't need: while we need to have "wide
review", we don't need a document in TR-space for this. We're strictly
making this harder for ourselves than we need to. We can just get the
wide-review done on the editor's draft (or, even, from the Director's
viewpoint, on the errata document itself!).

As such, his suggestion is that we just take the two-ED route and do that.

I'll also point out the wiki page has a paragraph beginning with
"Another option, and I think more usual, is to issue a Proposed Edited
Rec", but PERs don't exist under the 2017 Process, which from this
thread I believe is from Liam?

/g