Re: [css-writing-modes] Vertical upright Mongolian intrinsic orientation

On 01/10/2017 06:31 AM, Kari Pihkala wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m trying to figure out what is the correct way to render traditional Mongolian text in upright text-orientation.
>
> The Writing Modes 3 spec says: “Typographic character units from vertical scripts are typeset with their intrinsic
> orientation” [1].
>
> Mongolian is listed as a vertical script with a vertical intrinsic direction (ttb) [2].
>
> Here’s my test case: https://jsfiddle.net/9o1wazj2
>
> I tried it in Chrome55 and Firefox50 on Mac/Windows10 (on Mac 10.12, the default font didn’t display any text orientation
> correctly, so I had to install the Mongolian White font [3]).
>
> The mixed and sideways Mongolian texts are rendered correctly, but the upright text isn’t. Does it mean that browsers are
> typesetting Mongolian upright text wrong?

If it's typesetting correctly in mixed orientation, but not upright, it's a browser bug.
(I think this is unclear because UTR50 does not provide a data point to reference here,
but the proper behavior can be derived from a combination of UTR50 data and the script
tag.)

~fantasai