Re: [css-logical-props] inside/outside properties/values

On 04/06/2015 06:48 PM, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> The draft which is currently called "CSS Logical Properties" describes
> property names and values that are relative to the writing direction.
> The term "logical" is used without a definition, nor without a
> discussion. To me, it seems illogical to claim that these
> properties/values are any more logical than other properties. Rather,
> they should be referred to as being "writing-mode dependent",
> "direction-dependent", or something similar.
>
> A similar group of extensions are relative to the binding of a book:
> inside or outside. Prince has implemented these, as in:
>
>    margin-inside: ...
>    margin-outside: ..
>    float: inside | outside
>    clear: inside | outside
>    etc.
>
>    http://www.princexml.com/doc/9.0/properties/
>
> I believe the draft should also describe these sort of
> properties/values. A more generic title for a draft, which would cover
> all of the above cases, would be "formatting-dependent properties and
> values".

Hi Håkon!
Agreed that these are important use cases for us to address
within the context of keyword mappings. The main difficulty
here is that the mapping is layout-dependent and can vary
among fragments of a single box. For this reason, I think we
have to defer this to another level. But it's being tracked
in https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/255 and hopefully
will have a home in the future. :)

~fantasai