Re: Should CSS generated contents ::before and ::after really become part of the document?

On 01/14/2017 03:07 AM, Ian Yang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As you may have heard, assistive technologies are currently regarding CSS generated contents ::before and ::after as part of
> the document and are reading them.
>
> On the contrary, it looks like that web browsers such as Google Chrome and Firefox aren't regarding ::before and ::after as
> part of the document because they are making those contents uncopiable.
>
> Personally, I find this issue quite confusing. Judging from the presentational nature of CSS, it seems to me that assistive
> technologies' behaviors on this matter are not working as intended. But I'm not sure about that because I can find no official
> word from W3C on this matter.
>
> I might have missed something. Should CSS generated contents ::before and ::after really become part of the document?

They are not part of the document, as CSS does not write to the DOM.
However, they are required to be part of the rendered output in both
visual and speech media, per CSS2, which specifies "media=all":
   https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/generate.html#propdef-content

~fantasai